Saturday, February 22, 2020

Walking a Dog Keeps You Fit

You may be aware that government guidelines for keeping healthy are for you to get 150 minutes of moderate exercise every week. One way to do that and do even more is to get a dog.

A study involving hundreds of British households found that dog owners are four times more likely than other people to meet this standard. They also found that most dog owners will far exceed this standard by the walking close to 300 minutes a week with their dogs.

When the researchers compared the dog walkers with non-dog walkers, the dog walkers had 200 more minutes a week that they were doing.

Personally, I’ve had 2 dogs in my life and my last one, Kan’e (a Bichon), was 16 when we had to put him down a month ago. I’ve made a commitment to continue walking without him. So…every afternoon and again late at night, I take myself for a walk in his honor and for my health!
(Reported The New York Times, Special Advertising Supplement, January 12, 2020)

No comments: