Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Power of Inflammation and a Hip Surgery Update

                            Hip Surgery Recovery Update

It’s now been 2 weeks since I had my hip replacement surgery. The medical folks are still amazed by my rapid recovery. My pain level has stayed around ZERO to maybe a couple of times it was ½ to a 1. In talking to Heather, my Home Care Physical Therapist, she described me as a high-performance patient.

I asked Heather on a 1 to 10 scale with 1 being a great healing and 10 being Uh-oh how she would rate my recovery. She said if I didn’t have some swelling and bruising in the lower leg, she would rate my recovery at 1. She’s only had one other patient be a 1 and he was a younger guy!
I’ve also continued to play Steven Halpern’s subliminal recording called Accelerated Self-Healing when I meditate twice a date.

I’m now walking a half mile in around 14 minutes, twice a day and am riding my stationary bike for around 15 minutes per day. I elevate my legs above my head 2 to 3 times a day after exercising and apply ice when I’m in that position.

It’s fun to be able to beat the expectations of the medical staff!

                         The Negative Power of Inflammation

You can get a low-grade inflammation from having a mild fever to having a creaky joint to having tooth decay. While there are usually not many symptoms when it’s a low-level inflammation, inflammation is having an outsized influence on how we are affected by illnesses and diseases. Inflammation can affect our entire body. As an example, cardiologists in Boston reported on a clinical trial with 10,000 patients in 39 countries with a mean age of 61.

The initial aim of the study was to see if an anti-inflammatory drug called canakinumab could lower rates of heart disease. The researchers found that the drug was protective against heart disease. Surprisingly, the researchers also found that the drug could protect against lung cancer deaths by reducing them around 77%. IT also caused gout and arthritis levels to fall.

Here’s a list of herbs that can help you reduce or prevent inflammation in your body in case you’d like to avoid the drug route.

Turmeric (Curcumin) ...
Green Tea. ...
White Willow Bark. ...
Maritime Pine Bark (Pycnogenol) ...
Chili Peppers (Capsaicin) ...
Frankincense (Boswellia serrata) ...
Black Pepper. ...
Resveratrol

So, take charge of reducing your inflammation as the benefits can be great!
(Reported AARP Bulletin/ Real Possibilities, November 2019)

No comments: