Saturday, April 27, 2024

Update on My recovery from My Hospital Experience in February

I thought I would update you on my recovery from the pneumonia, flu and liquid on my lungs that I had and was treated in the hospital for 2 weeks in February. 

Once I was released from the hospital, I still had to do 3 weeks of self-administering IV antibiotics every 6 hours day and night. (That was a lot of fun…) 

I did discover that I could do it an hour earlier or later and that would still be okay. That allowed me to adjust the nighttime one so that I was able to get a little over 7 hours of sleep every night which allowed me to get REM sleep.

Around late March, I was finished with everything. 

I had lost about 18 pounds when I was in the hospital. I gained it back in about a month.

During this period, I was walking more and more and quickly got up to walking a mile. I was riding my exercise bike every day and moved up 20 to 30 minutes most days and I was doing high intensity interval training on my exercise bike 2 times a week. I was doing yoga every day. I was doing other exercises including some weights. I was also riding my petal bike outside around once a week for 45 minutes (weather permitting).

I saw my ENT Doc on March 6 and he could tell I had been though a lot. When I saw him again on April 3, he was quite amazed at my level of recovery. He said it was his experience that people my age would take months to get to the level I was at since he saw me March 6 (pretty cool statement).

I just recently had blood work done by my GP and he found almost everything was in the normal range.

I regularly take a probiotic from a company called Flore where they take a bowel sample and analyze it for good and bad microbes. They then formulate a capsule that is designed specifically for you.

Before all this hospital stuff happened with all the antibiotics I was given, I was quite high with the good microbes and very low with the bad ones.

I waited for 2 weeks after I finished administering the IV antibiotics at home and sent in a poop sample for analysis. I just got off the phone talking to their nutritional consultant. She said the report showed that I had lost a lot of the beneficial bacteria or a reduced amount of them. She also said that a lot of the bad bacteria in my gut had increased. 

Since they make a formula specifically for the individual, I’m looking forward to getting mine again so I can start to rebalance my gut bacteria. 

I’ll probably have another bowel analysis in around 4 months to see what changed. I’m looking forward to seeing the difference.

So…overall, I think I’d doing quite well for what I’ve gone through. That’s the update.

I won’t be publishing next week as I’ll be visiting my family. See you the week after.

Jerry Teplitz


No comments: