Saturday, March 9, 2024

Experiencing Hospital-Acquired Illnesses: My Personal Journey

This is a personal story about my experience with hospital caused illnesses that just happened to me.

This story starts when I noticed I was having heart palpations. I went to my doc in the beginning of November 2023 and she had me wear a heart monitor for 15 days. 

The results did show that I had 40 episodes of heart palpitations and that I was only aware of 4 of them. The palpations tended to last less than 10 minutes whether I was aware of them or not.

I was in the process of scheduling an appointment with a Cardiologist when on December 21 I started having palpations and they didn’t want to stop. I went to the emergency room at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital. 

They decided to admit me and would run a stress test and other tests the next day.

It turns out that evening the hospital was overwhelmed with patients. They had double their normal capacity of patients. Patients and beds were everywhere. 

I wound up being put in a room that was usually a storage area which they sort of converted into a makeshift room for patients. There were 3 other patients in the room. The room was so cold, I kept my clothes on and was covered with 3 blankets. I even had my winter coat over the top of everything.

Several of the other patients in the room had sleep apnea and were snoring on and off during the night. We were all wired up to monitors that kept beeping and ringing all night long. 

I barely slept that night.

The next day, while I was waiting to start taking the tests, I was bored so I was walking around the entire emergency room department to get some exercise. 

After the stress test, when I saw the Cardiologist the next day, he said my heart was “pristine.” I don’t think you can get better than that.

It took another day for me to be discharged.

A few days later, I went to an Electro Cardiologist, and he said I had some frayed wires, and it was not life threatening. He said I could live with it or have a procedure done if I wanted to stop the palpitations. He also said that my heart was in great shape. 

Now we fast forward to February 5, 2024. I had a fever for 3 days. I went to the Emergency Room, and I was admitted as they found that I had pneumonia, flu, and liquid in my left lung.

I was put in isolation, and they began treatments with lots of antibiotic IVs and pills. They also drained a half liter of fluid out of the left lung.

I was discharged 5 days later. 

On February 12, I had heart palpations again that won’t stop, so I went back to the emergency room where they were able to stop the palpations. (later, I found out from my Electro Cardiologist that my heart was so strong that I could experience palpations for days without experiencing any damage to my heart. I didn’t know this at this time).

The docs also found that I still had pneumonia, flu, and I still had more liquid in my left lung.

After 8 days, I was released again and needed to do 3 weeks of at home antibiotic IVs every 6 hours, day and night, which I will be finishing this coming Tuesday – what fun.

Now the point of all of this is how and where did I get exposed to pneumonia and the flu since up until this point, all the blood tests my regular doc had been taking have been perfect with everything in the normal range. 

I also don’t have contact with a lot of people as I have my office in my home. We have friends we get together with on weekends and no one has reported any kinds of illnesses like this.

My answer is when I was in the hospital the first time for the palpations, I must have been exposed to all these things when I was in the emergency room and was not aware of it. I assume my body attempted to fight this off between the time of my exposure in December and the first hospital visit in February. 

So…my bottom line is if you have to go to the hospital be careful who you are exposed to when you are there as you don’t know who has what!


No comments: